Sunday, January 22, 2006

Are you INCLINED to push yourself?

There is no disputing that the state of Colorado is a playground for outdoor enthusiasts. Active people here are constantly looking for a new challenge. A few weeks after arriving in the Springs I learned about a hiking trail called "The Incline". The Incline is a little more than 1 mile literally straight up. The trail is frequented by Olympic athletes in training (the Olympic training center is in the springs), tri-athletes, marathon runners and your everyday active person looking for a challenge and rush.
I had heard a lot of chatter about the incline and following one of my idols footsteps George I decided to be curious.


When I arrived at the trail head I was slightly alarmed at the sight of the challenged ahead of me. After the 1st 50 yards the trail goes straight up. While hiking up the incline it is extremely hard to catch your breath. The record for getting to the top is 18 minutes and a lot of people time themselves trying to better there time each attempt. All I wanted to do was make it to the top. There is even a Incline club that meets once a week all year long at 6:00am to hike the incline. You can clearly be addicted to more than just substances



Little by little I was making progress up the trail to the summit. The only three things that kept me going where the amazing views below me, my I think I can I think I can self talk, and the tunes I had blaring into my ears from my IPOD. I would literally have to pick a point about 20 feet ahead of me and once I got there I would take a break. Slowly but surely I made it to the top and the views were amazing! I had a great sense of accomplishment. When my body wanted to shut down my brain propelled me forward. As I relaxed and absorbed the beautiful scenery a thought popped into my head. I still have to hike down the trail....


I have since hiked the incline many times. Sometimes I go after work or on the weekends for a great workout and stress release. Other times I go with friends and we chat between gasps of air. For those of you inclined to push yourself this is a worthy endeavor.
This is only half way to the top!

No comments: