Saturday, August 19, 2006

Car Accident

Today on my way home I was reading the paper in the backseat of my car when all of a sudden at heard a loud BANG! I looked up and my car and a van were hugging each other. The phrase they dont make things like they used to rings true in this situation. My car is solid as a rock and comparable to the safety of a volvo. I barely felt the impact of the two cars colliding. I looked over and the van we hit and a fairly large indentation in its side door. I got out to survey the damage on my car and there was a small brushstroke of green paint on the front bumper. A crowed of people quickly gathered around and my driver steven and the driver of the van began shouting in hindi back and forth. Other's shared what I think were their eyewitness accounts of the accident. Two "policeman" showed up and tried to make some sense of the situation....yeah right...one man came up to me and was worried about me getting fried my the sun and handed me an umbrella for shade. I calmly soaked in the experience and must say found it very interesting and somewhat funny, especially when Steven came up to me and asked for 200 rupies ($4). The money was for the driver of the other car as compensation for the damage and the transaction took place right in front of the grinning police (bribes are very common here). Steven later told me the man wanted 1000 rupees for the damage and he talked him down to 200 because the man was driving to fast and the accident was his fault. From my vantage point the damage was at least $1000 dollars, but then again I am from the US and the markup on everything there is ridiculous. No paper work or information was exchanged, no one was hurt (thankfully), there was alot of verbal sparing which about 90% I could not understand, and an hour later I was home safe and sound, my wallet $4 lighter.

2 comments:

Coffeebrewer said...

Woah! Good thing you got yourself an Ambassador!

And one thing more, You are going to miss this country a lot more than you think once youre back in the States!

Anonymous said...

J Craver ~ $4.00 ????? That's amazing, if that happened in the states it would have cost $4,000. I'm glad your'e ok.

Jason J.