Thursday, February 25, 2010

TEQUILA!!!


When you think of Mexico what comes to mind??? In most peoples 5 top associations you would probably find tequila. Drinking tequila is sort of a national pastime here. The people are proud of tequila and rightfully so. Tequila drinking in Mexico is much different that what you find in the US of A. People drink it much like a scotch or fine wine. They smell, sip, swirl, savor and appreciate it. Where as in the US stereotypically we take shots of it. I must confess I am no where near a tequila aficionado and to be honest I have found sipping tequila very tough based its high alcohol level. However I have decided to try an acquire the taste and pleasantries that apparently go along with it.

Now when I heard that there was actually town called tequila here in Mexico I was flabbergasted, in a good way...Think about it...There is not a town called vodka or vino or any other major spirit (that I am aware of). This my friends is a special opportunity which I was eager to take advantage of. I heard somewhere that luck is the crossroads of preparation and opportunity. I was prepared and the opportunity presented itself.

So off I went to tequila on a train poetically named the "tequila express". On the way there we were serenaded my mariachi's and offered (of course) tequila to drink. Tequila is a magical town where one can explore the tequila factories and haciendas learning and tasting along the way. The experience is very similar to that of visiting a winery. After this experience I appreciate tequila much more and will continue the process of trying to acquire a fondness for it.

No comments: