Monday, February 18, 2008

The Land of OZ

With not even enough time to get over my jetlag from travel between the US and India I was on the road again…This time to the land down under and I must say it left a favorable impression. Its outgoing and humorous people, visually stunning landscape and ease of navigation made is a spectacular place to explore.

My 1st stop was Melbourne, a city that offers a vast menu of options that can satisfy any traveler’s appetite. Home of the Yarra Valley which produces excellent wine, neighborhoods oozing character like St Kilda a bohemian coastal area where the hip hang out, inviting restaurants and pulsating live music scene. Melbourne is a fine blend of Victorian roots and diverse blooms of new world culture that can rival any major city in the world. I happened to be in Melbourne for the Super Bowl which started at 10am and was happy just to get the opportunity to watch it as the two years prior I missed it. Watching the Super Bowl in a foreign country is like eating Indian food in American. It tastes good but it is not an authentic experience.

After a few days in Melbourne I flew up to Cairns in Queensland. Cairns is a Mecca for scuba divers, backpackers and outdoor enthusiasts. It provides access to lush rainforests, the incredible Great Barrier Reef and numerous other treats.



During this my 1st trip to Australia I scratched the surface of such a rich, diverse and intriguing country. I am looking forward to future visits.

No comments: