Sunday, August 23, 2009

3 pairs of underwear???


This backpacking trip was the 1st of its kind for me from both duration and location perspectives. I had backpacked for a month out west when I was young and have done plenty of camping in my days. However, preparing to travel in South America for 2 months carrying everything I needed (as opposed to wanted) proved to be challenging to venture as I began to fill my pack. So I called upon some of my friends who were backpacking vets and done a few tours of duty to give me some solid advice. When one my buddy Seth told me to only bring 3 pairs of underwear for 2 months I almost fell out of my chair! I began to lay out my clothes based on his and other advice...2 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of socks, 2 long sleeved shirts, 2 tee-shirts and so forth... I was uncomfortable with having so few things for what seemed like such a long time. One thing I reminded myself of when packing is that I had to bear the weight of all my stuff and so packing light was smart. When I arrived at Denver airport I was curious how much my pack weighed. If felt like a ton as I strapped it on and walked through the terminal. I tossed it onto the scale and when it settled it weighed 32 pounds. I had a triumphant smile on my face. After 2 weeks of traveling I am thankful for my minimist approach. It is teaching me many lessons.
This reminds me of a link I had posted awhile back. Check it out: http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html
On my back I carry all I need, this packs weight is freeing.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

There is something so precious about realizing that your needs are very basic, and that fulfillment has nothing to do with "stuff" I am so glad things are going well. Love you and miss you :)