Monday, August 31, 2009

Huayna Potosi


While in Arequipa I attempted to book to trek to one of the mountains that served as a backdrop for the city. The mountain I had my eye on was over 6000 meters high and I was told that I had to properly acclimated to even attempt the challenging hike. Having only been at a high altitude for a few days I couldn't make the ascent despite my desire. For the next few days having meals on rooftop patios I stared longingly at those mountains. When I got to Bolivia I was pleased to find out there were other magical mountains I could hike. I gave myself 5 days to acclimate in La Paz (the highest capital city in the world) before heading out to Huayna Potosi for a 3 day trek.

Huayna Postosi is 6088 meters and a beautiful yet intimidating spectacle. The 1st day of the trek was training on how to ice climb using crampons for traction and ice axes for rising up through icy terrain. The second day we climbed to Alto camp which was a tiny shack at 17,000 feet. 18 of us crammed into this small space and after some soup went to "bed" at 6pm because we were waking up at 1am to reach the summit by sunrise. That night my head felt like it was in a vice from a lack of oxygen. I got no more than 2 hours of sleep but was still charged by the upcoming ascent. We awoke as planned at 1am and hit the ice at 2am. The climb up to the summit was completely in the dark and probably better that way as had I been able to see the terrain we were hiking through I might have had second thoughts. ..We reached 200 ft below the summit right at sunrise which was a treat. Above the clouds there were priceless vistas to gaze at.

We were so close yet so far away from the summit. Completely spent some people decided not to summit. If it were not for my guide I am not sure I would have made it to the top. He continued to push and challenge me to keep my eyes on the prize. When I was finally at 6088 meters a sense of peace and accomplishment washed over me having completed one of the most challenging feats of my life.


Now all I had to do was get done the mountain...

No comments: